A spray tan is not only to make you look good, but it is also to make feel better too. Spray tan helps you get a healthy glow while protecting you from UV rays, which can cause side effects to your skin.
Everyone wants their glow of spray tan to last longer. So, how long does a spray tan last? It depends on how you take care of your spray tan. A spray tan generally lasts for 7 – 10 days. It also depends on multiple factors like your skin tone, skin health, and the coverage you requested.
Table of Contents
- 1 How Long Does a Spray Tan Last
- 2 How Long Does a Spray Tan Last in a Pool
- 3 How Long Does a Spray Tan Last from a Salon
- 4 7 Tips for Making Your Spray Tan Last Longer
- 5 How to Prepare for a Spray Tan
- 6 7 Spray Tan Aftercare Tips
- 7 What Should I Do After a Spray Tan
- 8 Conclusion:
How you prepare your skin before a spray tan and the way you take care of it after a tan play a major role. Read on to find the best way to make your spray tan last longer.
How Long Does a Spray Tan Last
As we all know our skin constantly produces new cells that make any skin treatment fade away with time. A good quality spray tan last may last for 7 – 10 days. A long-lasting effect of a tan depends on your skin health and the uniqueness of your skin. Also, it depends on how you take care of it before and after your tan session.
A spray tan on a lighter skin tone can last up to 5 days, on a medium skin tone it may last for 7 – 8 days, and on a darker tone, it can last up to 10 days. Remember, it depends on your spray tan care routine.
How Long Does a Spray Tan Last in a Pool
The lifespan of your spray tan is depending on the time of your swimming sessions. Shorter swimming sessions of less than 15 minutes will help your tan last for 4 – 6 days. Also, rinse off immediately after leaving the water. It will remove salt and chlorine contents from your body. Apply tanning lotion gradually to extend the lasting of your spray tan.
How Long Does a Spray Tan Last from a Salon
When a professional from a reputable salon does a spray tan then it may last around 7 – 15 days. But again, you have to follow the skincare instructions given by tanning specialists according to your skin for better results.
Must Read: When Can I Shower After a Spray Tan
7 Tips for Making Your Spray Tan Last Longer
We want to make sure that you get most of your spray tan. So, without wasting more time just follow our expert tips to make your spray tan last longer.
- Exfoliate before your tan: The day before you apply your tan, scrub away dead skin cells using an exfoliator made of cream and a mitt. The tanning lotion will be absorbed more evenly and better on skin that is smoother and more even and will extend the longevity of your spray tanning.
- Wax instead of shaving: Shaving irritates the skin and diminishes the shine of a golden tan. If you do your shaving for 24 hours before tanning, you don’t need to take that razor out for a minimum of two weeks, it helps in extending the duration of the spray tanning.
- Apply gradual tanning lotion: Apply the gradual tanning lotion in a similar way to the body moisturizer to enhance the glow of your skin for a couple of more days. The advantage of the gradual tanner is that it develops throughout the day, and you don’t need to wash it off as you would with a regular fake tan.
- Take short showers: The long duration of hot baths and showers can cause dry skin and increase the risk of your tan peeling. Make sure you take short showers and avoid long baths in salty seawater or chlorinated pools to keep your tan to the maximum extent you can.
- Use gentle shower gel and soap: The harshness of soaps and cosmetics could take away your skin’s tanning. The soft, moisturizing shower gels will help protect your spray tan and clean your skin, without removing it from its radiant golden shine.
- Avoid sauna and steam room: Perspiration can lead to an uneven fade and a patchy-looking brown as opposed to an evenly flawless glow. Steam rooms and saunas are specifically designed to increase your sweat so stay clear of them if you wish to keep your tanning for a few more days.
- Moisturize every day: If there’s one thing you should adhere to, it’s to moisturize with a non-oil-based product each day to secure your bronzed look. Do not skip this step and you’ll get an even-toned spray tan that lasts for at least one week.
How to Prepare for a Spray Tan
If you want your spray tan to glow well and for a long time then you need to prepare for it before your session. Because pre-spray tan care plays a major role in how long it will last. Follow our instructions to prepare for a spray tan.
Exfoliation is important before 8 hours of your session. Exfoliation can help remove any dead skin cells that are on the surface of your skin. This is essential because, if not done they could shed post-tan skin, which could result in your fake glow appearing uneven and patchy.
2) Avoid Shaving and Wax on the day of tanning session
Shaving and waxing must be done at least 24 hours before the appointment. This gives time for your skin to settle, which ensures an effortless and comfortable spray tanning. If you apply wax or shave too close to the time of your session the spray tan can get into your pores and cause dark spots. It could also irritate the skin, particularly when it’s sensitive.
3) Take a Shower
Always make sure your skin is sweat-free before the spray tan. If you work out before the tan, I suggest washing your face after showering since sweat may sit on the skin, preventing the tan from being evenly absorbed. The best time to apply fake tan is after showering since the cells of your skin are hydrated and absorb the tan evenly, resulting in longer-lasting color.
4) Don’t Use Oils & Lotions Before Fake Tan
It’s essential to ensure that your skin is well-hydrated. However, don’t apply lotion or oils during the time of the appointment. It can affect the process of developing the spray tan.
5) Go Natural
In addition to being careful to avoid lotion and oil, you should also remove any cosmetics, perfume, and deodorant by using a cleansing wipe before applying the fake tan. It is important to keep your skin clean of any product that may cause problems with spray tanning.
6) Don’t Use Retinoids & Hydroxy Acids
24 hours before your appointment, remove the hydroxy acids and retinoids in your routine for skincare. These ingredients can increase the rate of your cell turnover and could result in your tan becoming fades faster.
7) Prime Your Skin
To maximize the benefits of the spray tan, prime the skin using a pH-balancing cream before your spray tan appointment. This helps your skin attain an ideal pH of 4.5 that will allow the tan to soak deeper into your skin, and consequently last longer. Your skin’s natural pH is approximately 4.7 to 5.57 and bringing it to 4.5 can help it to match the pH level of your tanning solution so it’ll absorb more quickly.
8) Wear Loose & Dark Clothes
After you have gotten a spray tan, some shades might rub off onto your clothes. To prevent that from happening wear loose, dark clothes for your appointment.
7 Spray Tan Aftercare Tips
Aftercare with a spray tan is more than just what you wear to the studio. You can get the most from your spray tan by taking good care of it. Following tips will help ensure that your skin is healthy for the long term.
- Always apply SPF 15 sunscreen
- Take shorter showers
- Don’t rub your skin
- Moisturize your skin daily
- Avoid harsh soaps
- Eat fruits and vegetables
- Drink more water to stay hydrated
What Should I Do After a Spray Tan
After a session, wear loose-fitting clothing. You should not shower or get wet for at least 8 hours. You can continue gently exfoliating your skin but not over-exfoliating. Which will cause your skin to lose its tan faster as the skin cells that were removed are being sloughed away.
To protect your skin and your tan, apply sunblock regularly. Avoid spending too much time in direct sunlight to avoid fading your tan faster.
Products containing retinol or alpha hydroxy, salicylic acid, and products containing alcohol should be avoided. These ingredients can increase cell turnover and accelerate the fading of your tan. Bar soaps are not recommended. Avoid oils and oil-based moisturizers. They can cause pigment loss. To keep your skin healthy, and your tan looking amazing, you can use a lotion moisturizer.
So, I hope you got the helpful knowledge about how long does a spray tan last. Now, you can extend the span of your spray tan by following our useful tips. Spray tanning is a quick and easy way to protect your skin against UV rays. Contact the professionals if you want glowing skin.